Table of Contents
Organizations are made of individuals, who when brought together form a team. A team is a group of people who work together cooperatively to achieve a common goal (MSH, 2005). Human resources, if effectively and efficiently deployed may yield the highest form of productivity in an organization. Every employee in an organization must make an informed decision to work with others through a focused commitment, bearing in mind the challenges that come with team work such as; ego, lack of teamwork skills, communication barriers, diverse cultural backgrounds and environmental variations that must all be synchronized to create a participatory group (Berry, 2006).
"Leadership is about giving a team or organization the courage to truly commit to extraordinary goals. Well managed teams understand their capability extremely well and set commitments they know they can meet."Tim Esque.
This paper will therefore focus on Team Building and Development as one of the key Organizational Behaviour concepts. It will also give key highlights of how the Coca Cola Company has used and applied this concept in its operations towards achieving its global mission.
Brief Background of the Coca Cola Company
The Coca Cola Company is the world's leading producer of soft drinks with a mission of refreshing the world, inspiring moments of optimism, happiness and creating value to make a difference. It is rooted in the core values of leadership, collaboration, integrity, accountability, passion, diversity and quality. Its two strongest pillars are the people and its brands. With over 139,600 associates across the globe, team building and development is one of its major pillars that has propelled its success in the industry.
Program and procedures applied by Coca-Cola in Team Building and Development
Coca Cola strives to create an enabling working environment to its employees, as it believes that the work place is also a place of exploration, creativity, professional growth and interpersonal relationships. It has successfully embraced the culture of a learning organization. Peter Senge (2007) defines a learning organization a that where people constantly increase their ability to produce the results they truly need, where new thinking patterns are nurtured and employees have joint ambitions. At Coca Cola, people are inspired and motivated to reach beyond their potential and thereby achieving the ultimate organizational objectives. "We want our people to take pride in their work and in building brands others love. After all, it's the combined talents, skills, knowledge, experience and passion of our people that make us who we are."("Coca-cola homepage," 2012). It therefore uses certain programs and procedures in its team building and development process as highlighted below:
- Creating a shared vision among all employees. Coca Cola believes that in order to achieve the long term goals, it is important for the vision of the organization to be emphasized and enforced among employees. The company's vision inspires and motivates the employees in terms of their daily activities at the company and for the future.
- Situation analysis of current opportunities, challenges and threats in the market. The organization encourages team work for a collective analysis of its market status. Through team building and development, ideas are shared regarding competitors, market demands and required supply of Coca Cola products.
- Defining the challenges and selecting priorities. Through team building and development, the company has been able identify the existing challenges and setting strategies on overcoming these barriers through prioritizing what needs to be done.
- Developing action plans. Teams play a critical role in the preparation of action plans at Coca Cola. The various teams and technical working departments such as the sales and marketing teams brainstorm together on the best possible ways to go about task implementation.
- Implementing the plans in teams and evaluating outcomes.
Lessons learnt on Team Building and Development
Team work is essential in achieving any organizational goals. From the research done, I was able to note that team building and development comes with its share of challenges as well. As a class team, it was fun working together as various ideas were generated due to the diverse perceptions of individual members. Everyone had a specific role to play thus a lot of ideas were brought on board. These diversity however proved challenging at certain points as it was difficult to agree on particular ideas unanimously.