Table of Contents
It’s no secret that procrastination has become an issue today. Without any doubt, each of us resorted to procrastinating at least a few times in life. As a matter of fact, 20% of mankind state that they are considered to be chronic procrastinators. One of the most common examples of procrastination is putting off different major assignments in school until the last minute. Consequently, this habit at school sometimes becomes even a habit in your life in general.
Frankly speaking, there is a big number of people in the society today that seem as if they get excited while procrastinating. In spite of the fact that procrastination is believed to be quite thrilling to some people, it can cause many problems. We are going to dig deeper and find out why people prefer procrastinating and how this practice can influence their life in the long run.
What Are the Reasons for Procrastination?
To tell you the truth, there are many reasons for doing this. However, we have tried to single out the main ones.
- Fear to Fail. There are such people who avoid working on job or school projects since they are afraid not to succeed. What is more, they might think that even if they make an attempt and do their best, sooner or later, they will fail. As a result, they procrastinate doing the work.
- Fear to Succeed. People who manage to do well on various projects and celebrate achievements fear that they might not be able to succeed again and again. They think that they will not be able to perform at the same level or better than they did previously. Thus, they end up putting off.
- Rebellion. There is also a group of people that procrastinate due to the fact that they are snowed under a lot of expectations often placed on them by friends, professors, or family. If an individual was born in a family that makes him live up to their expectations, there is a high possibility of him/her delaying class assignments, getting poor grades, and even flunking the course.
- Boredom and Lack of Motivation. Undoubtedly, procrastination becomes the best solution to the problem when a given subject matter is boring. In this case, it is almost impossible for a student to find the inspiration or motivation. This usually results in poorly done or incomplete assignments.
In What Way Procrastination Can Influence Someone’s LifeIt is important to mention that lots of people don’t think that procrastinating makes a bad effect on their lives, taking into consideration the common belief about working better under pressure. Nevertheless, procrastination can be really harmful to people’s life.
- Relationships can be damaged, since a procrastinator is unable to work with other members of a group project.
- People who put off add up unnecessary stress and pressure on themselves.
- Procrastinators have to deal with increased health issues.
People of all ages are prone to procrastination. Causes for it might be rebellion, boredom, fear of failure, and fear of success. People who have this habit create additional problems with regard to their health and relationships.